Area agencies on "Vigilant Guard" should disaster strike | Community Spirit
Firefighters, police officers and other emergency personnel across the Bootheel and Southeast Missouri are on “Vigilant Guard” should an earthquake strike.
On Saturday, November 3, several emergency management agencies assembled in Sikeston to participate in a disaster preparedness exercise hosted by the Missouri Army National Guard.
“Vigilant Guard” was conducted to evaluate the cooperative response to an imagined 7.6 earthquake centered near Kennett.
Missouri’s Region E’s Multi-Agency Coordination Center (MACC) was set up at the Sikeston Public Safety Departments new training facility at DPS headquarters and served as the command post for the exercise.
Some of those participating in the exercise included:
- Missouri Army National Guard
- Scott County Emergency Management
- New Madrid County Emergency Management
- Missouri Department of Transportation
- Missouri State Emergency Management
- Poplar Bluff Fire Department
- Sikeston R-6 School District
- Missouri Delta Medical Center
- South Scott County Ambulance District
- Sikeston Board of Municipal Utilities
- New Madrid County Health Department
- Sikeston Department of Public Safety